This page forms part of the Academy of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting Research (UK), a collaborative enterprise in operation between 2004 - 2014. It is preserved as an historical document for reference purposes only. Some information contained within it may no longer refer to current practice.
Voices of experience: nurses, midwives and health visitors who have chosen clinical academic careers
The Academy of Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting Research (UK) has a declared ambition to provide expert support for those developing their clinical academic careers.
We want aspiring researchers to be as confident as possible as they enter clinical academic careers. To this end, we wish to provide some interesting examples of people who have taken that journey already.
We invited a number of people who have shown determination and perseverance in reaching senior positions to contribute their stories. We believe that their short accounts will be inspirational to those who might follow them.
In inviting these colleagues to briefly share some key experiences we asked them to tell us:
- Some factors that had enabled their careers
- Some key challenges
- Who or what might have been their role models and main influence
- Some things they loved about their work
- A key contribution they might have made to the public or patients and their families
- An exciting research moment
- We would like to express the sincere thanks of the Academy to our contributors, we hope you will find their accounts interesting and informative.