About the Academy
The need for an Academy
The need for a collective voice on matters relating to research that involves nurses, midwives and health visitors is immediate. The necessary policy infrastructure to shape clinical academic careers is now in place (UKCRC 2007) and a requirement to develop mentorship schemes and expert support for those developing their clinical academic careers is important. The combined expertise of the collaborating organisations that form the Academy is powerful, as is our collective capacity to lobby for investment and change, particularly the strength given by our participating membership organisations.
Clinical leadership as a force for innovation and improvement has re-emerged within Government policy across the UK, including, for example, proposals in England which specifically support the development of clinical academic careers for nurses, midwives and health visitors. A renewed purpose is beginning to emerge from that landscape as well as the new structures that will deliver research and development for health and social care. The Academy has a unique part to play in shaping that landscape and can offer a strong platform of professional expertise. We believe we can offer a unique contribution and add value.
- The Academy offers a United Kingdom perspective
- The Academy can provide views from clinicians, practitioners, researchers, educators and service
- The Academy is unique and has strength through its multi-organisational composition
- The Academy can help to articulate patient experiences of nursing, midwifery and health visiting research
The Academy as an organisation
In 2004, the RCN, the RCM and CPHVA-Unite came together to form a collaborative research group.
In 2007 it was decided to expand the collaboration and invite representatives from other organisations to join the Academy Board.
- Roswyn Hakesley-Brown CBE, RCN (Chair)
- Professor Pauline Pearson, CPHVA-Unite (Vice-Chair)
- Professor Sally Kendall, CPHVA-Unite
- Dr Cheryll Adams, CPHVA-Unite
- Dr Toity Deave, CPHVA-Unite
- Professor Sarah Watson-Fisher, Association of UK University Hospitals
- Professor Melanie Jasper, Council of Deans for Health
- Dr Theresa Shaw, Foundation of Nursing Studies
- Professor Alan Simpson, Mental Health Nurse Academics UK
- Professor Vari Drennan, Nurses in Primary Care Research
- Julia Quickfall, Queen's Nursing Institute Scotland
- Professor Anne Marie Rafferty, Research Policy Expert
- Dr Kenda Crozier, Royal College of Midwives
- Sue Macdonald, Royal College of Midwives
- Professor Marlene Sinclair, Royal College of Midwives
- Professor Billie Hunter, Royal College of Midwives
- Professor Kate Gerrish, Royal College of Nursing
- Professor Ruth Northway, Royal College of Nursing
- Dr Ann McMahon, Royal College of Nursing
- Professor Annie Topping, Royal College of Nursing
- Josephine Studham, UK Clinical Research Facility Network